Nation First News: The Indian Railways has decided to enforce a ban on single-use plastic materials from October 2, 2019.
Ministry of Railways has directed all Railway units to enforce ban on single use plastic material, with less than 50 micron thickness to shield the environment from the menace of plastic. It also aims to minimise the generation of plastic waste in trains and stations.
All vendors & staff across Indian Railways to be encouraged to use reusable bags to reduce plastic footprint.
In this regard, Ministry of Railways has issued a circular stating the following instructions are to be enforced
- Ban on single use plastic material
- All railway vendors to avoid use of plastic carry bags
- Staff should reduce, reuse and refuse plastic products and to use inexpensive reusable bags to reduce plastic footprint
- IRCTC to implement return of plastic drinking water bottles as part of Extended Producer Responsibility
- Plastic Bottle crushing machines to be provided expeditiously
- Pantry staff deployed on every train will take back the empty drinking water bottles from passengers for their safe disposal